Tuesday, January 5, 2010

tonight's score 32-63, victory can be found in loss

When talent is sidelined maybe it's because character needs to be the focal point.

It's painful to watch him sit on the bench especially as he watches the huge gap developing between their scores and I know what he's thinking. He knows he's powerless to make it change. Yet he stays there saying encouraging words to the other players, handing out tips on strategies, cheering them on.

His physical abilities on the court were disabled in his first game. Running down the court, full speed, total control, ball in hand...just as he closed in on the basket, he fell to the court, on his back, writhing in pain, groping for his knee, he actually cried. He's seventeen, over six foot two and, yes, he cried. I've heard a dislocated knee could make a grown man cry, so when I saw him down, I knew it had to have happened.

The hope has been that the knee will heal and he'll be playing again soon, but it's been a few weeks already and tonight in his first game back, that knee popped out again. As I sat watching him on the sideline, I realized maybe this is the plan. There may be something wrong with the knee, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the plan.

Sometimes when we excel in something, there's greater victory when we have to sit quietly out of it, allowing others to participate while we play a supportive role. Sometimes He is seen best in us when we aren't the spotlight, but our faith and steadfast hope showcases character that encourages others.

When we're willing to not be noticed, not seek appreciation, not glory in our victories, but be steadfast in the position He places us in, then He has a useful piece of clay that's ready to be molded into exactly the design He chooses. Maybe that's what people need to see, not us at our best-talented and shining, but us without our "glory" and how we handle it...can we handle it? If we pass through that valley willing to not only let others have the spotlight, but also encouraging them loudly, we are saying to the world that our faith does not rest in our talents. Our faith is firmly placed in Him.

"And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it."--Jeremiah 18:4

As we got in the truck tonight after the game, I hadn't shared my thoughts with him, but he looked at me and said, "I kind of wonder if God didn't just put me on the team, not to play, but maybe just to encourage the others"...victory

2 comments:

  1. Aww Mrs. Angel that gave me chills, it really warmed my heart. I mean I already know that Jake is an amazing young man of God, maybe that's what God is going to use him to do, God only knows. Thank you for sharing, love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God has planted incredible gifts within each of us, all to be used for His glory. Time and again, I have seen those who "thought" God was using them for one thing, when in reality, God was up to something completely different! I would say this may be one of those cases. Jake may be the most talented player on the team, but what that team "needed" more than talent, was encouragement AND He sent His precious child Jake to complete His task. Man, I'm lovin it! Thanks Angel. God is growing up your young man in amazing ways! To HIM be glory!

    ReplyDelete