Friday, February 26, 2010

A Century Turns--Book Review

I've been reviewing the last twenty years lately with my most recent book received from Thomas Nelson Publishers. A Century Turns by William J. Bennett covers the last twenty years of our country. Occasionally, I receive a book that I know I'll share with the whole family and this is one of those. I enjoy just about anything Bill Bennett manages to put into print so reminiscing the last twenty years from his perspective reminds me of so much I want to share with my children about the years in which I became a "grown up".

I appreciate the insight he shares about events beginning with George H. W. Bush becoming President of our country and ending with the election of our current President. This book, however, is not centered only on political history. It covers events throughout that time period that shaped our country, events like the Pan Am bombing, the fight against the drug culture, race conflicts, the Branch Davidians, technological advancements, hurricane Katrina, and many other events of that time period. There is, of course, a massive amount of information on politics and foreign relations, too though, including terrorist attacks, elections, and controversies that were linked to politicians of the time.

His book includes a wealth of bibliographic material to back up the accuracy of the events as told, but as he mentions early on one of the main sources is Bill Bennett, himself, as he was there. That is a perspective I have much appreciation for as he was a voice of reason and calm I remembered through many of the events he writes about.

No comments:

Post a Comment