Thursday, November 5, 2009

allowing the hurt

By the time I had my fifth child, I had read a variety of info about labor and how best to get through it. There was one thing that helped a great deal with labor for me. One bit of simple advice. Don't fight the pain, just allow it. I tend to be very tense naturally so when pain comes, my whole body fights it. I practiced "just allowing it" and to my surprise it worked. No tension of fighting the pain, but just relaxing the body and letting the pain come, since it was coming whether I welcomed it or not! I made it farther along with no meds in labor when I practiced that than when bracing myself, tensing up and gritting teeth. I guess I should do the same in all aspects of life.

There are certainly labor pains in life when poor choices give birth to consequences. I think there are stretch marks too, those would be the creases across my forehead. Sometimes in the living I fail to stop and ask for direction from the One who loves me most. I do that "leaning unto my own understanding" thing and end up in the mire. Shortly after that, the contractions begin. For the most part in the past, I have anguished as the pain comes. Asking questions of why and pleading for the situation to be fixed. Now, however, due to my great resume, which shows my extensive list of achievements in the area of causing problems for myself, I am learning the same solution I learned through childbirth...just allow the pain. Allow the pain because it is a natural result of doing things my way. Yes, there are tears and prayers from a low hanging head, but not as many questions of why or pleading for an answer, more just enduring and reminding myself "next time ask Him how to handle the situation so you don't end up here again". I just do the next thing as I allow the pain. Although I'm not real thrilled with the agony in the heart, I excitedly await the arrival of a big bundle of growth.

1 comment:

  1. OH HALLELUJAH and AMEN! "Holy" pain is difficult an so very painful because it demands that we ourselves, incise what needs to be cut away. It is then "we" who make the choice to allow th pain of it all, to grow us up, mature us, change us. I have learned to thank Him for the pain......not saying I'm yelling BRING IT ON GOD......BUT....I do now, at 56, accept it as His gift to make me grow and look more like Him. Praise His name for "allowing the pain."

    ReplyDelete