Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I don't relish their pain, but I want them to suffer

Today has been declared a holiday by oldest girl. Don't think her awful, but she's celebrating the departure of her younger siblings, all three of whom have taken off to Georgia with their grandma to visit their great-grandma. Oldest girl really does love them...she shows it often with her actions around here, but she delights in moments when she and big brother are the only two. So she makes chocolate chip pancakes this morning while playing music which livens her like coffee does others.

I enjoy these times, but some of the other times we've seen lately are the ones I know they need too. The times of pain, discomfort, sorrow...the times we don't celebrate, but dread.

Mankind has a tonic for every situation that offers the slightest of negative emotions. If one feels uncomfortable around people, if sadness is too intense, if disappointment comes...there seems to always be a man-solution for it. We surround people who are suffering sometimes when they need to experience the loneliness so they will call on a Father who is the company they can rely on much more than us. We give pills that allow a numbing so they won't feel sorrow when they need to face the sorrow so they can see a Father who brings them through what seems so unbearable. We offer substances that will bring one a sensation of ease when usually they would feel fear, a fear that could motivate them to ask of One who gives courage.

We offer answers according to our limited understanding sometimes out of affection for those we love, but our answers lead to people relying on people.

I want these small people He has put in this home to learn to rely on One who is not limited. My help will come to an end quickly, my band aids for their hurts will not cure, but if they are allowed to suffer, they will find the Source for all healing. Healing that is not artificial and temporary, but healing that is real and eternal.

What do I do then? I learn to stand aside and not get involved in every situation. I learn to pray. Help when I can do something, but then walk away and let them suffer so that they will call on Him...more than a help, one who can salvage, make new, bring joy, give courage, change, and grow them.

2 Timothy 1:8,9 & 12--"...but share with me in the sufferings for the gospel according to the power of God, who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace...For this reason I also suffer these things nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able..."

1 comment:

  1. So well said Angel. Oh yes, how true, how true! We are a society of "fixes." As you said, we run to "fix" everything in whatever way "we" can find when problems arise. Suffering brings us closer to the cross, there is NO DOUBT, NO DOUBT.
    Thank You God for finding us worthy to know You more intensely.

    ReplyDelete