Friday, May 21, 2010

"I took big gulps of Scripture, I'll be fine"


Homeschooling is different. The tendency to question one's self becomes a way of life. Prayer becomes vital. The "typical" becomes nonexistent. Assuming an "authority" is always right on many subjects disappears as thinking for ourselves takes over. Selfishness bit by bit, year by year becomes replaced by self-sacrifice in order for harmony to be found. Perfection is never reached, but contentment is.


Today was graduation day for us. Highschool man had to take a college entrance test to see if he qualified for the college program he chose. I was nervous. I admit my anxiety had more to do with how the results made me look. I have been waiting for this test simply to tell me whether I have taught him well enough over the last 12 years for him to continue in whatever field he chose. Again, I was nervous. He is an amazing person, but I have not been an amazing teacher.


So I sent him to bed early. Woke him early and placed a good breakfast in front of him, but he insisted he could not eat that early. After a not-so-well delivered speech about the importance of eating so a hungry stomach wouldn't distract during testing, I walked away...angry.


He left without another word and I was almost disappointed until I found the note he left. I have received many precious notes from some of the dearest people, but this one will stay with me always. It was written in his horrible manuscript he inherited from me. It simply said "I took big gulps of Scripture, I'll be fine".


So we all prayed for him and let go of the worries. He did very well. These years have been blessed by One who has plans for highschool man.

6 comments:

  1. I loved this post! I saw the "big gulps of scripture" teaser at Farming on Faith and had to read it. My homeschooled kids are still young, but I wrote a post just the other day about the importance of daily devotions with my kids, called "My daily dose of scripture", and your post is my exact goal for my children. My prayer is that when they get older, God's words will be as vital to them as food and water! I'd say that alone makes you a successful teacher! What a high benchmark to reach! Very encouraging! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the note of "big gulps of scripture"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your college man was more well-fed that morning than you could have ever imagined! Praise be to His name!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Barb! Wonderful to see Jake being immersed in the word. Resting in Jesus, how could Jake do anything but succeed?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Angel....cried when I read it....I'm taking big gulps of scripture....all I can do....nothing is in my control. I needed to hear that phrase and thank God for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awww! I just read this and it was too sweet, I'm sure you were an amazing teacher. You did a great job teaching me in sunday school at Taylor, I still remember memorizing Bible verses and watching that Carmen video. lol! Love you! :)

    ReplyDelete