Monday, June 22, 2009

His child

I am amazed by how often I find myself to be like Israel in the Old Testament. The Lord says do this and for a while I listen and obey, but then I look elsewhere and get distracted. Before I know it, my heart is not set as firmly in the confidence I once had in His promises. He seems distant even though I'm the one who moved. I question things that I know to be true and excuse things I know to be wrong. I am quite simply Israel. Instead of staying under the shadow of the Almighty, I find myself up on the high places offering my sacrifices to another. Then comes His love in a very powerful way. Just as He wouldn't allow Israel to defile His name by their constant sins, He doesn't allow me to defile it either. His love comes through compassionate loving correction. Painful, uncomfortable correction. Sometimes He may use a friend or possibly a message from a pastor. Other times it's something from Him in His Word or sometimes one of my own children reminding me of something from there, that one is usually a real stinger when they point something out! Sometimes it's the silence from me separating myself from Him that is too unbearable that has me, the prodigal, running to His everlasting arms. However it happens, it's the picture of mercy. He hasn't cut me off instead He loves me enough to keep me from destruction so He intervenes before I jump over a cliff that I can't even see is before me. In Psalm 91, I'm encouraged to know that I can dwell in His secret place while I abide under His shadow. With me, I have to remember to stay under His shadow and not wander. When I stay close to Him, dedicated to following His way, I'm secure in my mind and every other way. He offers me so much protection and comfort. I know it's true because He tells me all that He offers me in that Psalm, but I also know from experience. I've lived it and found it to be true. I hope as I age my times of correction will be fewer. I'd like to know I learned something from reading about the trials and correction of Israel and Judah from the Old Testament.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness gracious alive, you are quite the writer! This is profound and deep, I love it! I hope you don't mind, I added it to my blog because I knew you were going to be excited and have alot to say....I see such much passion just oozing through in your blog! I am so proud of you....more pointers coming your way soon....

    ReplyDelete
  2. the 91st psalm is the first Psalm I ever read and I've clung to it so many times during the struggles and fears of my life. Angel, I'm so excited you are blogging (did you get my comment about Ann Voskamp's blog?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Angel...child of God....how exciting to see you blogging! This is just the most wonderful for each of us to encourage each other on a daily basis. When I read your heart, or Sue's heart or Deb's heart, I know that I am not alone. Each of your blogs give me joy, encourage me and help me to see myself. I know I am not alone when in my wretched mind when I read that others are struggling with the very same things. I'm tickled pink you are blogging. I must tell Sum. She'll be tickled too! I've added you to my blog list on my page. This writing is therapeutic Angel. Most of the time, no one even makes comments on mine, but that's ok, I write for me and Jesus. It helps me remember His goodness and when I read blogs of my own from months gone by, they remind me of how far I've come. I LOVE comments, as we all do, but more than that, I pray I'm pleasing my Lord and Savior and that HE smiles when He reads my ramblings. I love you dear friend. Welcome to the world of blogging! You are loved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear Angel, I am sooooo proud of you! This looks like a wonderful place for you to get away and just be YOU. I am so happy you told me about your blog. I will try to read it as often as I can. Please send me a link when every you write. I hope you will give yourself time to do this when the children are awake and not just at the very end of the day when you are so tired. You deserve to write when you are awake and alert. You don't have to give yourself just the "scraps". you deserve the real meal that YOU pick out. ;-) Go with God my friend!!
    PS I LOVE the music!! It is so peaceful and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angel, I have just read your blog from top to bottom. I am so glad you commented on my blog so I could find you! I absolutely LOVE how you express yourself in words. What a joy and blessing to read. :) I've got you in my reader and will keep up with each post!
    Have a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete