Friday, June 26, 2009

Simple Life


When I was a youngster, my family had very little. We lived in Georgia for a small portion of my childhood. Life was filled with picking pecans, shelling peas, and walking around the roots of a very large pecan tree at my great Grandma's house. We sometimes picked in other people's gardens, getting to keep half of what we picked for our pay. We rode our Granddaddy's pony for fun when he let us. Once we even had a rotten tomato fight in the garden that I vaguely remember, but apparently left others sick of tomatoes for a while. My sister and I shared a bed and she would tell me stories about her school day late at night when we went to sleep. I think she just made them up, but I liked listening. Sometimes we would take turns scratching each other's back. We each had one baby doll. I still have mine, his name is Danny and he still bears the marks of my reckless love. Life was fairly safe, except for the time my sister convinced my brother and me to drink bleach. She insisted it was orange juice and to this day says she didn't know. I think she wanted to be an only child. We had so little and yet we had enough. Life changed when I was still young. We moved. But as I remember those Georgia days, I'm so thankful because I learned early on to do without. What a wonderful gift my parents blessed me with and they didn't even intend to. Maybe sometimes the things we can't give our kids is a blessing they will thank us for as adults.
Philippians 4:11....I have learned, in whatsoever state I am in, therewith to be content.

Happy Birthday to my Mom and Thank You for teaching me the simple life!

4 comments:

  1. Good morning Angel! I told Tonda around Christmas time that the Lord has continued to impress upon me the word "simplicity" Reading your post made me think about that again. The simplicity of my life is pleasing to Him. Simplifiying my life brings my focus back to Him! Love this post! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. O.K., you or Deb will not believe this....alot of times I will write in my prayer journal and later, it may transfer to my blog (if I think it's blog worthy)....one thing I was writing just yesterday was about the Simplicity of Salvation! I love this post! I grew up with the simple life as well, as a matter of fact, our lives seem much the same. I thank God for the things I was not "given" by parents because it taught me to work for things and earn things and then to appreciate. By the way, you have been a busy girl....I just clicked on your blog last night and was amazed....I loooovvvveee your blog! Just told my friend in Lake City, Barbara, to read it (you left a comment on her post "The Ivy Path")...this is such a neat way for us to connect and encourage one another

    ReplyDelete
  3. The simple life....it goes back to the good ole days doesn't it? Life was not so complicated or busy....when a person's word was their bond...and when our needs rather than our wants were the priority. Gratitude and integrity are two traits that come to mind as being formed during a childhood of the simple life. Thanks for sharing such memories.......thank you for visiting my blog and for your prayers for my friend. I believe there is a purpose and that God will ultimately receive glory from this..but she and her family have a long path ahead of them..our prayer is she will completely lean on Him. Thanks you so much........be blessed...

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my heart, I believe one of the greatest detriments we have given our children of these days is "TOO MUCH." We've forsaken simple outdoor fun with thinking we must supply video games and expensive electronic gadgets to make our children happy. We've been duped and our children don't even know the simple pleasures of playing outside anymore. Loved this post Angel.

    ReplyDelete