Monday, September 7, 2009

growing inside through outside obstacles

3 John 4--"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth."

I'm learning to be thankful for difficulties our little ones face as they grow. I have yet to find a child who begins walking perfectly without stumbling. It is the very stumbling that teaches them the need to steady themselves and walk with care. It's the same with struggles as they grow.

One of our little guys struggles with concentrating on his schoolwork whenever distractions are around him. I guess I could sequester him in a room by himself, leaving him with an empty atmosphere, nothing but quiet. That may work, until he becomes an adult and realizes there are no such places left on the planet. I would not want to stunt his growth in such a way as to cripple him for the future so he cannot cope with distractions around him. So instead, he's made to do his work in the open spaces of our home-with little one year old running around singing, little brother calling out for help occasionally, phone sometimes ringing, not because I aim to make it difficult for him, but that is the normality of life and I want him to learn to cope in that atmosphere.

So he struggles and he calls to me and my biggest blessing I can pass down to him occurs. I have the chance to tell him to ask the LORD to help him. It's those moments throughout the day that teach him about the faithfulness of a Savior. I'm glad he learns the stories from the Bible at church, but it's the day to day learning to trust the One he's learning about that I'm after. So when we have a moment when he's stressed or upset because he's gotten confused or frustrated, we can pray together and sometimes I encourage him to have quiet time alone with the LORD and ask for help.

I want him to learn now who he can rely on for all help. My help is limited. I could give him the quiet he needs, but that would be a temporary solution. Anyone else's help is limited, too. They may recommend the quiet or even prescribe an answer in a pill. I want him to know now that there is an answer, but it comes from the One he needs to rely on for all of his difficulties. The One who will also guide him through the troubles to come. What better thing could I give him than to encourage him to trust the One who doesn't fail even now as a child so that when he's a man he will seek help from the One who has shown Himself faithful already? My little guys faith will already have roots. That's what I want to pass to all of them--deep roots of faith.

Psalm 1:2,3--"But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

2 comments:

  1. My fourth child was very easily distracted. We did kindergarten with his desk in the kitchen and I had put a cork board up over it. I would hang his letter cards on there and when he came in and sat there I would have him go over them. He would do a couple of pages in his book and be off. Trying to make him sit was hopeless. He was this way until he was about 11. He still has a hard time concentrating. If the phone rings or his sisters ask me a question, anything!! But God has taught me to be patient with him.
    About my lists, send me your email again and I'll send them to you as we are back online now. My father in law went home this weekend and is trying to make it on his own. I know he can, but he is going to have to find new ways to do things. He has NO use of his left arm at all. That's the one with the cancer. I'm praying he can stay home!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Angel...how true this is! A memory came to my mind as I read your entry. As an 19 year old momma, I brought my first little boy home, not knowing one single thing about babies, other than what I read. One thing I did know right off the bat was this.....even though a baby had been brought home, i couldn't be dead silent all the time. And so, we talked, laughed, ran the vacumm cleaner and let the dog bark. And amazingly, our little DJ slept through it all. Life DOES go on around us and even a little newborn will learn to sleep through the clamor IF that is what is taught to him. What a powerful message spoken Angel. It is simply our job as momma's to "prepare" our children for what lies ahead in their lives. To shield them too much, which can be our nature, is a detriment to them sometimes. I'm so proud of the momma you are. To GOD BE THE GLORY for what He does in and through you Angel. Your little arrows will be and already are, straight shooters!!!!! STRAIGHT TO THE CROSS OF CHRIST! I love you so much Dear One in Christ, you never cease to bless my heart.

    ReplyDelete