Friday, September 18, 2009

is there a place for them

Sunday evening I visited the jail again with another lady, Tammy. We go to have church in an odd shaped, very cold room with any of the women who want to participate.

We arrange the chairs so that the atmosphere is very casual, no podium, just chairs in a circle. Misfits reaching out to misfits. Those who have found a hope trying to share it with those desperate for it.

Jail is where I experience the greatest church services. It is always real in that room. No one is concerned about appearance. No fake smiles. No cliques. Social status does not exist where everyone is dressed alike. With all masks removed, we're free to have church. We ask Him to show up and He does. I sometimes don't even know how to begin. But He equips us with the one thing we need, the Truth.

This past Sunday four women came. They are usually pretty desperate for a change. And just like the parable of the seed that Jesus spoke of, they all take the message differently. Some of them take the words that are spoken just for a short season and then let them go. Some of them don't seem to listen at all, they just want to get out of the living quarters for a while. Some of them want to change, but they are so trapped in bondage to lifestyles and friends who influence them that they go back to their old ways. But every once in a while, someones heart opens and they see their desperate need for a Savior and they long for Him. They see the hope in Him and that is what they run to. This happened last Sunday. The same woman I've seen a few times over the last couple of years...before when the seed of His Word was shared, she was not interested and other times she seemed to not understand. But this night, when confronted with the the message, she realized she needed to know for certain that she was one of His own.

Now everyone knows about jailhouse religion and I think I've actually seen it demonstrated myself. In a courtroom, when someone walks before the judge and proclaims they have started fresh and are now attending church, but I know they've gone back to their old ways. They just think the church word and starting fresh may sound convincing enough to gain some leniency. Thankfully both of the judges I've listened to, pay no heed to that. But sometimes there are those who sincerely seek the Truth and they want to walk with Him. What do they do when they get out of jail?

I have asked this quietly to myself and in prayer over the last couple of years, never pleased with the answer. We invite them to come to church always. Most of them who come only come once and don't return. When I compare and contrast the jail church services with the church on the outside, I think I understand their hesitancy. Is there really a place for them? They are broken, scarred misfits who walk into a foyer where there are no sections for misfits or into a Sunday School class with no section for the broken. I am a broken, scarred misfit myself, but I do not even know how to show them that when I am at church. I have no problem sharing that with them in that odd shaped room in the jail, but at church even I find it hard to be vulnerable enough to let people see the real me...the me who is broken and scarred and certainly does not fit well in many crowds. Instead I find myself struggling to find a spot and opting shamefully for withdrawing quietly into my own well chosen area where I feel safe. How will I reach out to them when they come if I'm not even sure I belong sometimes? I think there are many people in church like that. I know it causes me to appear uncaring and self-absorbed. The ladies in jail interpret it as judgemental and hypocritical. That's why they say they don't want to come. How do we tear down those kind of walls that so many church members, like me, are responsible for putting up?

Their desire to come to church is very real sometimes, but in a church they are seeking a safe place...a house of mercy. A place of acceptance. They have little to offer. They need more than they can give to begin with. They are babies in Christ and probably not ready to serve in many capacities when they first come. We reach out to minister to them, but do we really want them to come and be part of our congregation, can we learn how to open our arms and pull them in? I do not find myself courageous enough to know I can do this. I would love to go to church every Sunday in that odd shaped room. Very little is hidden there. Words are spoken freely. Scars are displayed with no shame because we all have them. Struggles are talked about because each one faces them. People are not afraid to be vulnerable because they know they are accepted. I do not experience freedom of that sort anywhere outside those jail walls and it leaves me wondering if I am mature enough in Him to even be ministering there.

For any one of you who periodically stop by this little blog, please take any time you would usually use to comment and pray for those women in jail. There really are some who want to follow the One who offers truth and life, but they find it so difficult to fit in the church.

5 comments:

  1. Wow. What an excellent post Angel. I sat down to read a few blogs this morning...never expecting something so "heavy" and sobering. There truly is such a thing as "jailhouse religion" yet I, too, have seen very real conversions come out of it. In fact, whether we personally were in jail or not at the time, many of us were at our "lowest point" when the Lord saved our souls too. I know I was. Absolutely undone without the Lord. Unfortunately, you're so right about our churches. We indeed are a group of scarred misfits...but we too often cover our scars when we walk through the church doors...making us seem not quite as real as they are. Sad commentary on "us", isn't it?
    Thank you so much for posting this. God bless you for taking the time to help them. God. Bless. You. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had several jail house preachers tell me the same thing. They are also some of my favorite preachers because they don't beat around the bush. They say you can't hold back in there because they know what they are and if you try to water it down, they turn you off. I think many people in churches do the same thing, because we really do know when they are watering it down and trying to make us feel good or comfortable. I used to not feel like being myself in church, until we found this one. Now I can just be me and it is OK!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm blogging Angel, but I am praying too for all those precious women. I have always had a desire to go and help in this area, but I'm at a place right now that I cannot. Maybe one day. My own oldest son caught some "jailhouse religion", the kind that is ill-spoken of and it wasn't long until the religion he got, went by the wayside. You have posed some deep serious questions in this blog Angel. What are we to do? How can we effectively minister when we these ladies want to come but feel like such misfits when they do come. What "is" the answer? I think a portion of it is humility. We may not want to admit it out loud (PRIDE!!), but if we were honest, we think of ourselves as better, more sophisticated, more godly, more whatever and they feel it. No wonder they don't feel comfortable there. I too wish we had the answers. We must each begin with our own selves, that's a start. We must constantly slay the flesh and remember these Dear Ones are loved by the Creator God just as much as us.
    Great blog Angel and extremely thought provoking and hopefully, prayer provoking! I love you Sister-in-Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a heartfelt blog on such an important subject. We have probably all seen an example of the "jailhouse religion" that you spoke of...but amidst them there are those that find a real relationship. The ministry you are involved in is great..and it sounds like you are enjoying it, but the problems these women find when they try to get involved with a church must be very discouraging for them. I will be praying for you as you seek wisdom for this. I pray that you not become discouraged with it...even if only one finds the truth.....that's one more. Thanks for sharing from your heart...this remarkable insight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this! I am involved in a Bible study at our local detention center. Everything you wrote about is true here too. I don't have any answers -except for the continual prayer that you asked for. Don't give up sharing with those dear ladies even if you may not see the "results" you wish.
    Blessings, Gina at Home Joys

    ReplyDelete