Saturday, September 12, 2009

they're all His words

I'm so thankful those whose hands penned God's Word were men with faults. Not that I glory in the faults of others, but knowing those who wrote those words struggled gives me comfort as I walk through my own struggles.

We are taking one Psalm at a time right now, writing our thoughts about them in our journals. As we write, it's been a good time to point out to the kids a pattern we see in many of the psalms of David. He begins some of his passages questioning God. I heard a teacher who gave a quizzical look and spoke of these questions as though David was wrong for such. Sometimes I speak up, but that day I stayed quiet. (I don't like to feel like I'm correcting someone who's supposed to be teaching me.) But those places where David agonizes with questions are precious to me because they are Scripture and they too are the inspired words of God. I appreciate so much the writing style of the shepherd boy made king. I do not write anything quite so beautiful, but when I find a scrap of paper and pen, I often write with questions to Him first, too. My heart many times being heavy and seeking comfort from Him...so out it spills onto whatever paper I find and something happens in the writing. Comfort, memories of faithfulness, truth healing the brokenness, something happens so that by the end the message is the same. The same as the conclusion David reaches...but You are faithful God and You make the way for Yours and all will be okay as I stay under Your shadow. I'm thankful those are His inspired words. It gives me hope that my questions and struggles are to be expected as long as my conclusion matches his.

Psalm 13
How long wilt thou forget me, O LORD? for ever? how long wilt thou hide thy face from me?
How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily? how long shall mine enemy be exalted over me?
Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death;
Lest mine enemy say, I have prevailed against him; and those that trouble me rejoice when I am moved.
But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation.
I will sing unto the LORD, because he hath dealt bountifully with me.

2 comments:

  1. This is comforting! Great blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great observation. It does seem to help when we can see that those who have gone before us had the same struggles that we have and yet have walked thru victorious. Great post.

    ReplyDelete