Friday, September 25, 2009

senior year

While talking to a friend today, for a brief moment I became overwhelmed with the "demands" of this senior year for our big guy. My friend described the costs involved with making this a memorable year for her son. The pictures, the ring, the senior trip, yearbook... Then there's the graduation ceremony. She mentioned so many things that for that moment I shrunk thinking how am I going to get all of this done?!

That's when I had to remind myself that just as we've never tried to mimic the public school system for their education, we won't copy them for this special year either. There are a few similar things we will do, like pictures and maybe even a ring. But the homeschooling life is so different. It has been centered around shaping their character and teaching them to focus first on Him and He will lead them.

It's tempting, even in homeschool groups, to get caught up in following the standards set by society. But some of my favorite sources of encouragement come from homeschoolers who remind others (while reminding themselves!) that education wears a different face for each homeschooling family. In homeschooling, not every child will read fluently by the age of 5 or take Algebra when they're in 8th grade or perform well on the A.C.T. Homeschooling's great benefit is that it does not concentrate only on scholastics, but searches for how each child is brilliant. They are all brilliant in some way, perfectly suited for some great calling from Him. So I'm looking forward to making this year special for our big guy. I'm not sure exactly what it will include, but I don't plan on allowing a lot of stress. So it will be simple because I want to enjoy this last year I have the privilege to sew into his mind.

As he's becoming the man God shapes him to be, I want him to concentrate not on what field of study or work he'd like to look into, but I want him to prayerfully consider exactly what the Lord may be leading him to do. I am so thankful to have him with me everyday and I will probably shed tears the day we celebrate his graduation with friends and family without the cap and gown and no walk in front of hundreds, but knowledge implanted in his brain and hard work behind him and in front of him. It will be a special day.

Here are a couple of great links about the individualized learning that takes place in the homeschooling environment: http://intent.squarespace.com/ and http://fimby.tougas.net/homeschool-insecurities-and-goals

No comments:

Post a Comment