Saturday, October 31, 2009

His grace

I've recently been reading a book about George Washington. In it is the story of how he became leader of the Continental Army. He knew a recommendation was coming soon to the Congress for who should be the commander and he suspected they may choose him. He confided with a friend in Congress that he felt unable to carry out such a task so he asked his friend to dissuade them from choosing him, as his friend did, but he was chosen unanimously. He did accept the position, but with the following words: "...I beg it may be remembered...that I, this day, declare with utmost sincerity, I do not think myself equal to the command I am honored with." Somewhat scary words considering the responsibility he had just assumed. But later on in a letter to Martha, he wrote these words "...I go fully trusting in that Providence, which has been more bountiful to me than I deserve..." That just gives me a picture of how to handle praise---with warning to the givers of one's lacking and knowledge that anything good that comes is provided by the Almighty.

Praise is very humbling when you're the recipient of it and you know the truth. The truth of "if they only knew"...if they only could realize how much of what they see is the result of nothing but the grace of the Everlasting Father.

His grace is especially evident when raising kids. His grace covers a multitude of imperfections in any parent. Two very flawed individuals seem like they would pass on a heritage of disaster to unsuspecting offspring, but when He is included in the picture...It's like someone taking some of the most questionable ingredients, mixing them, baking them together, and ending up with an appealing culinary creation that pleases all who taste. It doesn't make sense, but that's because we are limited in our understanding and cannot comprehend His infinite ways of piecing together the craziest of jigsaw puzzles.

After spending years praying over little ones and pleading for mercy for them, considering the humans they were born from, suddenly it's possible to see a harvest of grace. Traits in them that had to have been planted by Him. Answered prayers that were prayed for them that the parent could never have been responsible for making happen. He is good to those who honor Him. There is no denying that. He is forgiving of imperfections in His own and His grace covers them.

His ways continue to baffle me because my brain works in the human way...the "try to figure it out" way. He takes those who are insignificant and incapable and allows them to be the caretakers of His possessions, and it looks like the individuals actually know what they're doing. The important part is making sure that those who lavish praise are reminded who it should be given to.

I Samuel 2:30--"...for them that honor me I will honor..."

2 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord for grace & mercy. I am so thankful that God makes up the gap for the mistakes I make with my children.
    Great post!
    Autumn Blessings~
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace....I love EVEN the very sound of this word....because when I say it, I know the only Giver of it! He has been good to us, oh so good. ALL that we are and strive yet to be, IF there's any glory in it, it truly does ALL belong to Him! Bless His name!

    ReplyDelete