Friday, October 30, 2009

still don't know what a typical day is supposed to be like

As a homeschooler, I have worked hard over the years to plan our days well. I have created numerous schedules, chore charts, menus, lesson plans, things to do lists, and probably have been responsible for a few acres of precious timber needlessly being harvested with the paper I've wasted since most of my plans are never followed.

Often when reading books about homeschooling, there is that one section where a typical daily schedule is presented. I'm laughing just thinking about it now because after these eleven, almost twelve, homeschooling years, I still don't think I've ever actually experienced a typical day. I've made the plans and certainly intended to follow them, but I'm just not that structured. We wake up on time, but instead of what I had planned for breakfast...hey, how about pancakes. And then there's the really interesting conversation that starts at breakfast and finds us still there an hour later. (We do a lot of talking around the table!) And of course, if a stray critter shows up, we have to catch it or one of the kids might do something so cool...get the video camera out. We just never seem to have the time to fit a schedule in this life.

I have certainly not been the best example of a wise steward of time, and one day each of them may be shocked for just a couple of days when they enter the world and realize there are time constraints, but I think they'll be okay after a few days. I do not totally regret the spontaneous nature of our family life. Some of our best lessons have been taught over conversations that erupted out of events that benched my plans for the day. A lot of Scriptures have been discussed over extended breakfasts. Much sibling bonding has happened when we've delayed opening the books and decided to enjoy each other for a while instead.

I'll probably continue my pattern of lists, schedules, and various other organizing tools that use up a lot of paper and look really great on the frig, but I'll not be one to demand anyone to follow them precisely, just maybe as a slight suggestion. Even today as the two younger boys were playing, I heard the youngest correcting the older, saying "You said you would...Let your yes be yes and your no be no." That was one of those Scripture lessons we halted school for years ago when high school man was tiny. He's been passing all those things to them over the years so I'm okay with our rather unscheduled ways.

Psalm 16:11--"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."

No comments:

Post a Comment