Monday, December 28, 2009

i ate my manna on the go

I have lived a life full of lists written on any scrap of paper I can find. Lists for items needed, menus for the week, chores to conquer, school assignments to plan, books to read...My plans always exceed reality.

I want so desperately to accomplish much while I'm still here, but up till now my plan of attack for all those lists has led to falling short. My goal in the last year or so has been to replace my "way" of scheduling with what I know is His way of scheduling.

There are many things, for example, in schooling my children, of which I have let go over the years because traditional teaching includes certain subjects that must be covered or professionals insist there are certain concepts children must be taught. So in order to cover these things, I fore go the most valuable. I sacrifice the precious to give them the typical.

Our daily Bible reading aloud and journal entries about that reading has become less frequent. Our nature walks with nature journals, obsolete, this year. Our reading classics aloud as a family, optional and rare. We still do many things of great value as a family, but I have set aside many of the most beneficial opportunities for growth of their minds in order to gain the right to fill out a transcript and give a "credit". I suddenly want to flush all the credits and refuse to even consider schooling in a traditional method.

I want them to be like Daniel and his friends, refusing to eat the king's meat and drink, then after a period of time proving that following God's way not the way of man shows them more excellent...because God's touch surpasses any man-made way.

I give the example of school, but this is what I struggle with in me too. I wake up and even as a mom who spends every day with these arrow kids, I let go of what is most important for me also. My thoughts are centered around the mundane, while I let the precious go. I read a quick devotion or nibble a few scriptures before beginning the great tasks that I "need" to accomplish. What if I actually refused to participate in mankind's version of how to be the best home school mom and instead thought on Him for hours during the day? What if I let Him lead my moments one by one each day? What if I trusted Him that much? What if I feasted on the manna He gives me everyday instead of grabbing a little here and there and trying to hoard some for later when I am short on time?

I know what the result would be.

Daniel 1:20--"And in all matters of wisdom and understanding about which the king examined them, he found them ten times better than all..."

1 comment:

  1. I "needed" to hear your "what if's" tonight Angel. Thanks. One of the things I love the very most about reading others blogs is finding out that I'm not the only one who experieces the weird feelings and thoughts that sometimes I tend to think "I certainly MUST be the ONLY one to think this way!" I loved this one Angel. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete