Tuesday, December 1, 2009

they take it so seriously...I need some of that

I promise I am aware that the five arrows in this home have no monopoly in being special. All children are brilliant in one way or another with promise of something great, but it's up to the adults around them to see it. The ones He has put here bombard me with moments which cause me to see it often, but they also unknowingly offer me lessons from Him.


Today little six year old guy replayed a scene I enjoy. He entered Grandma's house while playing with his nine year old brother, mouthing something, no noise coming out, just those little lips shaping words that couldn't be heard. I knew immediately to speak one word to solve his speechless problem. "Ethan," I said and with that he smiled and ran back outside.

His older brother had jinxed him. He does it often. He's rather strategic with it. He entices little guy to repeat a phrase with him as though it's a cheer or a chant and when he sees he's following his lead, he makes sure they say it simultaneously and then he attacks with "jinx on you" rendering little guy speechless. The funny part is that little guy always abides by the rules and stays quiet until someone "frees" him by speaking his name.


They live honoring each other in this strange way. They listen to words spoken by a sibling and it means something to them. They take it seriously.

Once the two olders were playing with invisible cars, yes, invisible. The oldest snatched his sister's "car" and she cried for quite a while until she got it back. Yes, by invisible I mean it didn't really exist, but it didn't matter. He said he had it and she listened to his words.

I am drawn to this peculiar respect they have for one another because I struggle to have such a high regard for the words of others. I often question the sincerity of words. Of course, when one questions anothers words usually they do not heed them. This becomes a danger zone for me when the words are those of the One who loves me most. My determination to fully follow Him begins to wane simply because His words become faint when I do not take them as seriously as I once did. I find myself looking at the physical, the world around me, the visible that distracts and entices. So one of the google reasons He placed these little ones here is to model trusting anothers words. They do this well and I, the child of His who's still learning, I am grateful for the lesson.

Deuteronomy 8:3--"...but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live."

2 comments:

  1. "Unless we become as children"....we can learn much from them. Our problem is we have learned to much from being in the world, like not trusting what people say....children are still so innocent and trusting, the way God intended.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww. I enjoyed reading this, so cute!

    ReplyDelete