Saturday, December 19, 2009

they can't possibly know my thoughts toward them

Luke 2:14--"...on earth peace, good will toward men."

Often my mind thinks on them, but they don't know. Little one lying on the couch nursing stuffy nose and aching body. High school man, my biggest (human) help, working on computer. Teenage girl driving into town with her biggest fan, her dad. Little wildflower girl, along for the ride. Then there's the most sensitive fella writing out a card for his sis. All involved in their own activities, thoughts on things that are important to them at the moment. They can't know how often I think of them and how I hope for them. They do not know how eager I am for them to live fully and enjoy people around them. They can't know how I hope they avoid evils that would sidetrack them from the good they can experience. They know of my love because they've tasted it, but they cannot know the depths of my thoughts, love, hopes...
How could they ever know except they continue the life circle and have some of their own who stay on their minds?
This makes it so real for me. The purpose of the lights, trees, carols, all the celebration. How can I know how great His love and His thoughts are toward me? I am involved in what is important to me at this moment. My little revolving world. I know Him as my children know me, but never could I know the full extent of His thoughts toward me. Sometimes the extraordinary event that took place two thousand years ago becomes commonplace in my mind. Phrases repeated year after year, messages heard many times, Christmas plays, songs...I am a shallow person who allows the depth to bounce off my heart at times because I absorb myself in routine and leave little time to celebrate what is sacred.
But He delivers His message to me through these children because He causes my heart to ache for them, long for good for them, strive to lead them in the right way, sacrifice my own way for them...sacrifice...
That makes it real for me. I am simple me and I want all good for them. He is who He is. How much greater is His love and His desire for good for me. I cannot fully taste it as these little ones cannot fully grasp my feelings for them. They fight against my goodwill for them, I fight against His goodwill for me. I do not give up on them, He does not give up on me. They keep learning to trust me, I keep learning to trust Him. They get closer to me, I get closer to Him.
If there are no gifts, no decorations, no plays, no parties, then all is well because there is Him. He does not change, His love never stops, He is. And that makes Christmas what it is...my celebration of Him loving me...for a simple child like me, it doesn't get better than that because I've tasted love from the viewpoint of a mama.

Luke 2:19--"...Mary kept all these things and pondered them in her heart..."

1 comment:

  1. Angel~ I wanted to let you know how much I treasure your writings...they aren't "posts" to me but words elegantly weaved together. Especially the last few about this most holy season. In the midst of all the folly and nonsense that accompanies Christmas, it is wonderful to come to your blog and read words that are so honest. I love you and your precious family! faithfully reading...Deb

    ReplyDelete