Monday, August 31, 2009

following the shepherd, not the sheep

Isaiah 40:11--"He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young."

I'm so thankful for word pictures of how You care for Your own. A shepherd guiding Yours in safety and loving care. In moments of anxiety, when I feel surrounded by the unknown that causes my heart to race, I remember You...my Shepherd and my heart calms as I simply say "lead me, I will follow". I walk away calmed by knowing You are right there with me and then You lead me into the most wonderful circumstances.

My part is really simple. Just trust and follow You. You lead me to the greenest pastures. That's what a shepherd does...guide, protect, provide. You do that and so much more for me.

I have felt the protection. I have loved the guidance. I have been thankful for the provision. I have also wandered from Your side. Sometimes feeling carefree and independent in those green pastures, taking my eyes off you, feeling confident until I realize I've gotten myself stuck in a thicket in a desert place. Then I start to cry and You come and get me...and break me, bring me back with my scrapes and bruises, and You show me that there is danger when I wander from You.

I remember a song Mama taught us. She always wanted us to sing it and we didn't want to, but now the words are sweet. "Gentle Shepherd, come and lead us, for we need Your help to guide our way"...the words are jumbled in my mind because of the years since hearing, but the meaning is there.

You lead me beside still waters when I would otherwise walk into rapids. You restore my soul when I feel so overwhelmed and confused. You are the Good Shepherd. And I am amazed that all it requires on my part is to trust and follow.

John 10:14,27--"I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine...My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:"

No comments:

Post a Comment