Thursday, August 27, 2009

letting go of what I can never catch anyway

II Corinthians 1:3--"Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and the God of all comfort; who comforteth us in all our tribulations: that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God."

"...Such Christians, although they profess to be followers of the God of all comfort, spread gloom and discomfort around them wherever they go; and it is out of the question for them to hope that they can induce anyone else to believe that this beautiful name, by which He has announced Himself, is anything more than a pious phrase, which in reality means nothing at all. And the manifestly uncomfortable religious lives of so many Christians is, I am very much afraid, responsible for a large part of the unbelief in the world." Hannah Whitall Smith


I read this from the book, The God of All Comfort, nearly trembling inside, knowing lately I've taken my eyes off of You as my source for everything I need.

In my fast spinning world, days passing so quickly, wondering where the time is going, I have sought comfort from those most dear around me, expecting more from them than they can offer. All because I've not remembered that You are my only source...for comfort and all else.

As I turn my eyes elsewhere for my help, my burdens get heavier. Suddenly I cannot manage the every day and my demeanor changes to reflect one who is unsettled and I am ashamed. Ashamed because I am not wearing You well.

I allow the burdens of the everyday to bombard me and cannot see Your hope because my vision is obscured. Obscured because I look in the wrong direction for my help. Why would I exchange Your yoke which is so light for one that weighs me down?

The dear ones are watching me and they know all is not well with their mother. They are the ones who most make me want to walk confidently in Your hope and comfort. One day I want them to do the same.

I do not want them to see in me nothing more than a "pious phrase", but instead the beauty of the mystery of the gospel.

I remember Solomon's words now and cringe, knowing I've allowed the same in my life. How many times does he say it in his Ecclesiastes book--grasping for the wind! It is all vanity.

I'm letting go of my fruitless efforts to catch the wind. All that gets accomplished should be for Your glory, all else is waste.

Allow Your servant child to rest in Your comfort and forgive me for going to the "high places" again.


Psalm 119:59--"I thought about my ways, and turned my feet to Your testimonies."

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting "truth". A needed call back to the important over the typical place we go when left to ourselves.

    I can identify with this related to our middle child and his struggles. I need to find my comfort where the only real comfort is provided.

    Thanks for stopping by my place. Nice to meet you :o)

    By the way, I was born in Florida.....Ocala to be exact. Much of my family is still there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your honesty Angel, we should all strive to be more like Him, your words are a huge impact on anyone reading your blogs. It makes me want to re-examine myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for stopping by my blog. I loved this post! Wonderful! I will put you on my sidebar. I get excited about "meeting" new friends online.

    ReplyDelete