Tuesday, August 18, 2009

maybe prayer instead of the phone call

Psalm 141:3--"Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips."

I wonder if sometimes calling someone and sharing our concerns about them is actually being thoughtful after all. Maybe that little nudge of worry about them is really the One who loves us best reminding us to talk to Him about them, not necessarily to get us to speak to them.

Sometimes words of concern can come out as hurtful. Nothing more than a persuasive argument from one that reaches desperately for words that will motivate another to see the errors they are making and show how right the concerned one is. That causes strife and nothing more. Very few people are ever persuaded by an argument built on contention even if it's birthed from an intense love the concerned one has for the other.

Okay, so I received one of these calls today from one who I know loves me more than most (and would never be reading this or it wouldn't appear here!). I do understand the concern, but I wondered after the call if this person realized the strife that I felt hearing the words, words that were not helpful, but accusing. I don't mind this person's concern for my well-being and her hopes that I'm not getting overwhelmed with my duties in life. But when concern expresses itself with charges it's hard to see the concern anymore. All the person can see now are the charges, no love.

I would rather any and every day be the beneficiary of prayers to the One who has the strength I need than to receive a phone call of concern. As I pondered all that was spoken to me on the phone today, I thought "do I address people with my concerns for them before I ever whisper their names to the Almighty?" Then He reminded me of another phone call I received today from another who shared the verse above, Psalm 141:3, with me. He reminded me to keep that thought ever present in my heart so as I speak to others, my words are chosen carefully and only expressed after talking to Him. I want Him to be the keeper of the doors of my lips! And I want to always be consumed with the need to pray, pray, pray for those He puts around me and those He brings to my mind. I want to always pray first and then maybe a phone call.

James 5:16--"...pray one for another..."

2 comments:

  1. Godly wisdom from a godly woman. I love you Angel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post Angel...a needed reminder to pray before speaking (if we are to speak at all)~
    sure do love you!

    ReplyDelete