Sunday, August 9, 2009

I'm resting in the Shepherd's fold

Psalm 23--"He leadeth me beside paths of righteousness for His name's sake"

I'm listening to waves crash right now. Sitting under a large, but not full, reddish moon peeking through clouds showering glimmers of light on the ocean.

This is where we come every year. Our crew and extended family.

Especially for this occasion, I gathered all the pictures I had ever taken of our times here together and put them in one album for all of us to look at (and laugh at). Looking over the last twenty years or so, I've noticed one main thing. I see God's grace and mercy on our family.

I see the benefit of following His ways even when the doubts were crashing in my mind like waves on the shore. Doubts that I now recognize as darts from one who seeks to destroy anything that brings glory to the Worthy One. We somehow allowed His yoke to pull us His way and that saved us much heartache.

I see His favor on us. He blessed the tiniest offerings we offered to Him and gave back more than we could contain until we are now overflowing. It is simply because He has blessed us and we know it and are amazed and thankful.

I see His mercy. There were times over the years when my own rebellion turned a deaf ear to what I knew was right and brought me to the brink of deciding to go the way of selfishness. I grumpily got back in line, with pout and whine, and He kept me. Looking back I cringe at what may have been had I acted out my rebellion. He is a good Shepherd and comes for those who are His.

I see the reason for clinging to Him. The world's way is as reliable as the sand underfoot with each new wave leaving us wobbly and unable to stand firm. But His ways are solid and firm as building on a rock.

He has been so good to us.

Psalm 23--"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life"

No comments:

Post a Comment