Thursday, July 16, 2009

definitions

Psalm 19:1--"The heavens declare the glory of God..."

One of my middle son's favorite books has been A Hole is to Dig by Ruth Krauss, just a book of cute definitions based, not on the dictionary, but more likely on the author's common sense. Sometimes I'm thankful for things for reasons other than what they're intended for, too. So with that in mind, I've made my own list of a few things.


the sun is to remind me of new mercies

the sun is also to tell me I slept too late

loneliness is to make me thankful for friends when they're around

a mom and dad are to raise kids
a village is to go to when you need milk

books are to make me smile real big and anticipate opening

pen and paper are to comfort me when I write thoughts about Him

a camera is to see the beauty better

a pacifier is to soothe baby
a pacifier is also so mom can sleep
a pacifier is something cherished when it is misplaced

baby feet are to kiss and nibble

baby hands are to softly touch my face and then stick little fingers in my eyes, nose, or mouth just because they are holes and need to be investigated

baby bellies are to blow raspberries on, so a baby will laugh

little boys are to remind them to use soap, pretend spoons are swords, and be tucked in with prayers and a kiss at night

teeth are to fall out so someone can get a treat

cuts and bruises are to show off to friends and ask teachers to pray for

puddles are to be splashed in and mud is to be sloshed in

soft sheets are to reward me for a hard day's work

a husband is to hold his hand while he sleeps and make me feel secure

legos are to be left all over the place so I remember I have children

a pile of dirty dishes is to make me thankful that we have plenty and we are full

a church is to have a spot that only you can fill so when you all work together it's like a whole body functioning well

a cry is to tell me someone's counting on me
a scream is to tell me I'm taking longer than she intended

a death is to remind me not to get too attached to things here

a teenager is to refuse to act the way the world says teenagers are supposed to act to show the world is wrong

termites are to remind me I have a hidden enemy

shadows are to remind me that even in the dark times there is a light

a dandelion is to remind me that God can make pretty things out of what others call useless

a cross is to remind me


Romans 1:20--"For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:"


(Please feel free to add any definitions of your own in a comment, I would love to read them!)

5 comments:

  1. a sunflower reminds us that if we follow the son, we will stand heads taller than all the others

    I loved this post....your definitions are very descriptive and heart warming.

    Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A grandchild is to remind us that years before, God Himself blessed us with the gift of a child.

    Roofs over our heads are to remind us that we have a house to live in when many others do not.

    We could possibly list millions of these and I'm tempted!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these "definitions!" I'm personally not that creative...but I do agree that little boys are to remind us to use soap! :)

    Thanks for leaving the encouraging comment on my blog. It made my morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, loved them all but especially about the baby feet. :)
    Sunrise is to remind us that His mercies are new every morning!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks you guys for adding yours, loved reading them! You guys make me smile!! Always nice to see comments.

    ReplyDelete