Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I dare not hope in the powerless

I Sam. 4:1-11
verse 3--"...Let us fetch the ark of the covenant of the Lord out of Shiloh unto us, that, when it cometh among us, it may save us out of the hand of our enemies."

The Philistines approached and Israel was at war again...but they lost. So what did they do? They took what was sacred and misused it. That ark that represented Your presence, they relied on it, a thing, to solve their problem, to bring them power. They didn't even call to You.

I read the story and see myself.
They tried to manipulate to have the situation turn out their way. Those people of yours, leaning to their own understanding, what were they thinking? I don't really need to ask. I've lived that battle myself.

You know my guilty heart, how it struggles with turmoils in this life and instead of immediately calling on You sometimes I try to rely on another. The other may not be something evil. I certainly do not seek advice from tarot cards or palm reading, but when I rely on anyone or anything but You, my faith is still misplaced.

If my heart is hurt, talking to another may not be wrong, but relying on the other for the comfort that can only come from trust in You is ignoring You and placing my hope in them. You are my only source of hope.

If I find myself in a difficult situation and do not ask You first to resolve it, but instead think how can I solve this myself so it turns out best for me, I am doing nothing more than attempting to manipulate circumstances to bring me a satisfactory outcome instead of trusting You for wisdom and allowing You to show Yourself in my life. You are my only source of wisdom.

If I see other's who I love facing hard times and do not first, hand them over to You in prayer, but instead try to intercede on their behalf, I am no help to them. For even if they think my actions have helped them, I have done nothing, but brought glory to myself and provided a very temporary source of help for them, when I should have shown them You, their only resource for real hope, eternal hope. They must know that it comes from You and that You simply allow us to be vessels which pour out Your goodness. For I am not big enough for anyone to hope in.


I have done this before, hoping in the ark to rescue me. The ark for Your people so long ago was that one beautiful sacred object. For me, it is many different things that I have placed my hope in. I read the story and it reminds me of me. And I am thankful for the reminder.

Psalm 62
verse 5--"My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from Him."

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your sharing your devotion this morning.
    Have a wonderful day!
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid I've been guilty of hoping in the powerless....quite often mySELF! But we truly are powerless.
    Thank you for sharing what you do here...it's always an encouragement. :)
    And thank you for your comments on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Psalms 62:5 My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him. God used this verse to show me that my expectation was from man, from circumstances, but that I needn't look to anyone but him alone!! You know how a verse comes alive once GOD himself gives it to you? Well, I am reminded of this verse every time I start thinking, "Well if they would...." or "If I could talk to....." He wants us to keep our mouths shut and truly expect HIM to do it, period. But that is living by faith, which is what we MUST have to please him, but our flesh wants to speak to someone, to touch some thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have touched on such a very real dilemma for many of us. There are those times when despite our knowledge and understanding of His power, we try to do it ourselves (guilty) or depend on some other person or situation to take care of it for us. Once again, I am thankful for NEW mercy EVERY morning. Lord, help us to hang on to you as our only source of strength, our strongtower.....What a wonderful post...Angel, thanks foir sharing from your heart and reminding us all to see Him first.

    ReplyDelete